Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

El 22/04/13 18:57, Allan Day escribió:
Federico Mena Quintero <federico gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 14:36 +0100, Allan Day wrote:

* Unsuitability of 16x16px icons on touch screens

"So make them larger" :)

And make the bar taller in the process? I don't think that people
would thank us for that.

Seriously, this is not just for touch screens.  Those need big targets.

The target is the height of the bar.

Summary - maybe bigger icons, or just contrastier ones?  Use a wider top
bar for touch screens?

* Large width of items in the System Status area (including the user's
name) taking up too much space in portrait mode

How much is too much space?  Do you have a screenshot that shows the
problem?

I have a long name but fortunately a 1600 pixel-wide screen.  When I
used gnome-shell on a 1024 pixel netbook it felt a bit cramped, but it
was not a huge problem.  Maybe if the user's full name gets over a
certain percentage of the screen's width, then gnome-shell should switch
to showing just the Unix username?

This primarily relates to portrait mode (there's a bug for this [1]),
but it could potentially affect any user if they have a smallish
screen and a super long name.

Hi !

From my point of view, the root of the problem comes from the touch
screen dimensions (both pixels and physical size) and maybe finger size :P

What about a split/combine option for the status menus. I mean, we can
define when a combined menu makes sense (small touch screens or portrait
mode) and when splitted menus are best suitable (bigger touch screens or
non touch screen screen for example). And this can be tweaked by the
user someway.

Cheers,

   -- Juanjo Marin