Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Giovanni Campagna
<scampa giovanni gmail com> wrote:

> Rather, what I'd like to point out is that, in my opinion, this needs more
> thinking through before going straight to shipping.
> I mean, I trust the design team and I value your experience in the field,
> but this is another radical change, and it's quite different from our
> competitors.

I don't think anybody will argue against doing careful design and
testing, but I don't think this particular argument holds much water.
Quite the contrary, this all-in-one status menu is quite similar to
what you find eg on the Android-based Galaxy Note.

True.  But Android Galaxy Note has a lot of different use cases than a desktop/laptop.  In general, Note expects touch as opposed to a keyboard/mouse.  Also the combinations of hardware both visual and input is a lot more diverse on a laptop/desktop than Android.

I don't think it would be out of bounds to create a separate branch for testing before putting it out there.  It is a very intrusive UI change and we are providing no way to go back to the old way to allow people to get used to the change.

I don't really want to antoganize users by dropping things into their lap and ask them to adjust yet again to new flow that hasn't had more sandbox testing.  Even if it is going to take longer to get it out there it's not particularly broken today, right?