Re: loomio

I agree, I didn't mean to change the way module maintainers make
specific technical decisions for their modules. But many decisions are
relevant for the whole community, and using such software would allow
people to participate more easily and give them a feeling their voice
counts.

Keeping track of the process would become much easier than the current
mix of IRC, mailing lists and wiki pages.

I sent a message to the gnome-love list too, hoping relevant teams will
see it there.

Since I don't even have any area of responsibility in the Gnome project,
all I'm doing is to suggest the use of loomio. The decision is up to the
people responsible for things here in the actual teams. I wanted to make
sure you are aware of loomio.

Olav mentioned something about involvement or marketing which I didn't
understand, but just to make things clear: I have nothing to do with
loomio or Gnome (except for being a user on Gnome 3 on my laptop), I'm
just a random person who heard about loomio and suggests you to use it,
if it fits the project's decision making model.

Everything else is up to you, I can't speak to anyone in the name of the
whole community.

Enjoy :)

On א', 2013-04-14 at 21:31 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Germán Póo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org>
wrote:
        On Sun, 2013-04-14 at 20:53 -0400, Hashem Nasarat wrote:
        > > [...]
        > Sriram, while I agree many problems would be alleviated with
        more
        > volunteer time, I've witnessed multiple instances in the
        past 6 months
        > where decisions were not made democratically, despite a
        clear lack of
        > consensus. Most recently, there were a great deal of changes
        to the
        > gnome-shell "All Applications" view very late in the 3.8
        schedule, well
        > after code freeze, and despite visible disagreement. Loomio
        seems to
        > offer an intuitive way of seeing how controversial a change
        is.

        "If I’d asked people what they wanted, they would have asked
        for a
        better horse" -- Henry Ford [1]

        Software development is not a democracy.  Decisions are taken
        by people
        who actually develop the software.  Comments might or might
        not be
        welcomed depending of several factors (politeness, pertinence,
        reputation, data, etc.).

 Germán is right.  In free software land, the module maintainer is the
ultimate dictator of what goes into the code base.  So the decision
falls upon the maintainer and a trusted cohort or two.   In which
case, decisions are fairly easy to come to and you don't really need
decision software.

Marketing and others non-coding teams tends to require more consensus
mostly because sometimes money and tangible resources are involved so
decisions are done jointly.  That's where such things would be
interesting.

So for instance, your suggestion of decision software might quite well
for the Board when trying to document consensus, but it doesn't map
well to the technical culture of free software.

sri