Re: Concerning Keyboard Status Menu

Hi,

Last time we rejected fcitx and an universal protocol because we have
limited resources, then this time we rejected some of input methods
based on IBus framework because we think they're of low quality.

So the road is narrower than before. Personally I think it's not to
integrate a IMF to desktop, but actually shutting the door that an IMF
goes into GNOME. And killing the creative ideas in IM frameworks and
engines. Because no IMF and IME can't survive if a DE refuses to
accept it, no matter how brilliant your idea is.

In the past GNOME doesn't care enough about IMs, then people never
recognize how powerful a DE can be. These days GNOME is over
compulsive so actually no IMs can fulfill its needs.

So it's clear enough, GNOME has to properly describe what you need
from an IM, and let IM devs do the job instead of hacking from GNOME.
And you have to have some patience because actually any IM is a 3rd
and independent party with GNOME. They have fewer devs than you do,
you two can't keep the same schedule.

IBus 1.5dev branch introduced a new API to fulfill GNOME's needs. then
many of its IMs didn't catch up (They're developed by 3rd developers
for IBus. That's why IBus have to develop in a slightly slow way to be
mature enough for them). So you implemented a White List to filter
those IMs which actually are the most advanced IMEs and have the most
users.

Then we're here. You thought you did good things for the end users,
but they're now shouting at you. Actually you didn't listen to them
and do the pre work carefully. Man, almost no one use ibus-pinyin
nowadays...a default means to be fast, to be light, and to be good
integration with the IMF. But end users need more functional and
feature full ones. You blacklisted them. So you pushed them into fire.

You're doing things in a reverse way. It should be GNOME who tries to
be compatible with nowadays stable IBus instead of pushing everything.

But now it's useless to talk about that schedule, theory or protocol
stuff. We have to figure out why GNOME implemented that white list
filter, and how to get those IBus input methods into the white list.
That's the point of the argument.

Greetings,

Marguerite