Re: Dropping fallback mode in 3.8

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert sxpert org> wrote:

On 9 nov. 2012, at 16:56, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> last weekend, the release team met and discussed (among other things)
> the DropOrFixFallbackMode [1] feature. We've come to the conclusion
> that we can't maintain fallback mode in reasonable quality, and are
> better off dropping it. We're now working on organizing this so that
> it does not create more unnecessary fallout.

I don't talk often on this list, for lack of available time, but have the following to say :

The decision is all nice and well. however this will force people that don't have the latest and greatest accelerated hardware to switch to something else.
most PCs that are more that 2 years old are probably out of the game.

now the REAL question is :
Is the Gnome community NO BETTER than Microsoft at forcing Hardware Upgrades ?

Hey!  Long time no talk, hope all is well.

GNOME shell should work on any graphics card 5 years or older.  We should have good data backing this up as I know that Fedora has done QA on a number of hardware to test gnome-shell in order to know what hardware profiles shell will work on.

I read many testimonials where shell has worked nicely on netbooks which don't have good 3D hardware.  A the very least, llvmpipe makes software rendering work fairly well on older hardware without a 3D card.

sri