Re: Fallback mode is going away - what now ?

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
hi Andre;

On 21 November 2012 13:27, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:

> Can we make testing beta versions (and porting extensions to the next
> major version of GNOME) more attractive / easier for extension authors?
> Have Shell maintainers published info on "Code changes which may affect
> extensions" in the past? Putting this into the release notes feels a bit
> too late.

you're definitely correct. we should have some form of limited QA for
the most highly rated extensions.

Firefox has the same issue, and a lot of grief has been eliminated by
working closely, during the development process, with the extension
authors whenever a change was scheduled. nothing's perfect, obviously,
but it helped in having extensions working right after a new release.

Right, and especially if you're changing extension API, extension authors should know and be able to test what is broken so that they can fix.  Otherwise, I suspect most extensions can be fixed by doing a version change in the json file.