Re: GNOME goal for 3.8: Python 3 -- impact for pygobject itself

Hello John,

John Stowers [2012-11-06 11:22 +0100]:
> Can we also require that we continue to work with python 2.7 (at least
> g-i and pygobject)?

For g-i it shouldn't matter, as this only concerns its tools such as
g-ir-scanner, and it shouldn't matter to the outside world if they are
written in Python 2, Python 3, or Scheme.

For pygobject itself, I don't see an urgent reason to drop python 2.7
support anytime soon. I would like to drop support for 2.6 at some
point though, as this is responsible for a few hacks that could go
with only supporting 2.7.

As for the other modules, that's pretty much at the maintainers'
discretion. It is not that hard to port your code to work with both 2
and 3, but over time the python 2 support tends to break unless you
actually test it regularly.

Martin