Re: GNOME goal for 3.8: Python 3 -- impact for pygobject itself

Colin Walters [2012-11-05 11:12 -0500]:
> --with-python-major=2/3/auto
>
> As I mentioned before, this is easier to work with for build systems and
> more reliable than environment variables.

Ack. However, I'd change this to

  --with-python=<command>

and default to "python3 if available; if not fall back to python".
With that you can also use it with e. g.

  --with-python=/tmp/python-3.3.0/bin/python

when you want to build python in some special way (e. g. with valgrind
support, or with patches applied), and we don't hardcode the
possibilities.

So for the fake pygobject-py2 jhbuild project we'd specify
"--with-python=python2".

Does that sound acceptable?

Martin