Re: gnome goals for 3.6
- From: Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>
- To: Piotr Drąg <piotrdrag gmail com>
- Cc: gnome-i18n gnome org, desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: gnome goals for 3.6
- Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:17:00 -0400
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Piotr Drąg <piotrdrag gmail com> wrote:
> What about strings with embedded markup, like this one: "Unfortunately
> GNOME 3 failed to start properly and started in the <i>fallback
> mode</i>"? Are they also supposed to be changed in some way?
These cases are tricky.
Sometimes you can eliminate the markup by doing something like
s = g_strdup_printf ("<i>%s</i>", _("fallback mode"));
/* Translators, %s stands for 'fallback mode' here */
msg = g_strdup_printf _("Unfortunately GNOME 3 failed to start
properly and started in the %s"), s);
But this is considerably more clumsy than the embedded markup version,
and you may well introduce memory leaks and new 'split string'
translation issues this way.
Use your judgement.
] [Thread Prev