Re: Some points about IM integration

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Marguerite Su <i marguerite su> wrote:
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> GNOME doesn't want to work well just for tweakers and enthusiasts - it's
> very important to the project that GNOME works well for all users without
> tweaking. We want to give the choice of using Free Software to
> everybody - this is a much more fundamental form of choice than giving a small
> group of users the ability to swap out a different input method framework
> underneath GNOME.

no offense, but if Chinese or CJK Community is "a small group"(I think
I've already be clear about what CJK users are doing today. they'are
the nowadays tweakers you called. why? because you didn't ship what
they want.

Please, no reason to get offended - assume well and everything. I'm sure what Owen meant is the following:

The group of CJK users who tweak / replace the IM (because the out-of-the-box experience sucks) is small compared to the group of CJK users who don't use free software / GNOME at all (because the out-of-the-box experience sucks).

Introducing another level of abstraction ("IM framework framework") may make the first group happy, but it doesn't help the second group at all. Making the out-off-the-box experience not suck on the other hand should benefit *all* CJK users.

so is Chinese or CJK Community "a small group" or "second class"? say
that in public in Hong Kong.

Well, according to your own words, GNOME "does not ship what [CJK users] want" - I guess you can call that "second class". The whole idea of integrating IM into the core desktop rather than keeping it as an after-thought is to make CJK users *first* class citizens. So again, please don't feel offended.

Regards,
Florian