Re: 3.6 Feature: IBus/XKB integration

Hi,

Le lundi 23 avril 2012, à 23:23 +0200, Rui Tiago Cação Matos a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> The GNOME desktop has, up until now, supported different keyboard
> layouts configuration and switching through the use of XKB and its
> database of keyboard descriptions. What we have never explicitly
> supported in the core desktop is input methods such as Pinyin for
> Chinese or the various methods to input Japanese.
>
> IBus[1] is a project that provides a framework to develop input
> methods with several readily available on at least Fedora and Ubuntu.
> This proposal aims at including explicit support for IBus in GNOME in
> such a way that, from the user experience point of view, choosing to
> use a German keyboard layout won't be that different from choosing a
> Korean input method.
>
> IBus is composed of several tools. Of those we are mainly interested
> in using the core ibus-daemon and the various engines. In particular,
> the goal is to not rely on its GUI tools to configure and interact
> with it. Instead, gnome-control-center will be the GUI to add "input
> sources" which are, for now, a simple tuple of XKB layout and IBus
> engine that are known to work together and which will have a UI name
> that is meaningful to users. gnome-shell presents the currently in use
> input source and the other configured ones in a status indicator and
> menu (what now is the keyboard status indicator). It will also present
> the candidates window for the input method in use, if any, based on
> Takao Fujiwara's work[3].
>
> The feature wiki page[2] has some more details and links to initial
> code to achieve this.

There's been some recent discussion wrt input methods in openSUSE:
  http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2012-05/msg00169.html

Apparently, people seem to think that ibus is not the right long term
solution. And fcitx has been mentioned several times, then the upstream
author wrote this:
  http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2012-05/msg00205.html

When reading this thread, it sounds to me that there are quite some
users who are unhappy with ibus. So I'm wondering: have other approaches
been considered?

Thanks,

Vincent

--