Re: Introducing Photos

On 05/10/2012 08:24 PM, John Stowers wrote:

The point is that we already use Tracker in GNOME (Documents and Boxes
depend on it) and I don't see any reason for existing apps to stop
using it and while we could compromise on some code-duplication, its
certainly a big issue if there is two entities harvesting metadata
from tons of photos on every GNOME installation.

<offtopic??>

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought GNOME only depended on
tracker-store and not the indexer?

The two are in the same tarball release, so it would be up to packagers to separate them and AFAIK, that's not been the case at all (at least on Fedora and Ubuntu).

If GNOME now depends on the indexer, that is incredibly good news.
Perhaps this cycle we might get useful search in GNOME; in nautilus
and the shell at least....

We've been pushing integration in various ways for a while. I recently helped the tracker-search GNOME shell extension maintainer improve his work to offer much better sorting of results... see:

  https://github.com/cewee/tracker-search

Really nice to be able to find a document out of thousands in a seconds from the shell.

We only really have tagging support in Nautilus, I would like to have replaced search by now, but it's just not happened yet.

I have been using tracker happily for years to manage large
collections of papers and documents and could not live without it.

Great to hear :)

--
Regards,
Martyn