Re: fallback mode vs llvmpipe rendering

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 05:36:29PM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> I know I don't represent the majority nor the core target of GNOME but anyway... :)
> I for one would like to keep the fallback mode a little longer. I have
> hundreds of (corporate; these are the only one I can have real stats
> on) users enjoying GNOME 3 in fallback mode on OpenBSD.

For what reason do they use fallback mode? Not being able to run GNOME
shell, or not liking GNOME shell?

> I know BSDs aren't of real interest for the GNOME Project but it works
> amazingly well (on x86, x86-64 and powerpc). We have people working on
> llvmpipe/gallium/kms support for OpenBSD but it takes time since we
> are not a large-scale project.

llvmpipe is (IMO) something that should only be used because nothing
else works. You don't want to rely on llvmpipe by default.

In case hardware rendering is not working nicely, any timeframe when
that would change or not?

--
Regards,
Olav