Re: Again: please clarify the decision on IBus integration

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:45:34AM +0800, Aron Xu wrote:
>> I would like to get your clarification about what's your decision on
>> IBus integration because all of us haven't reached to an agreement on
>> the whole thing. While I feel that you'll do it regardless of
>
> From what I understood, you can still have different input methods. It
> is just that IBus will be default. With work, you can still setup
> something different.

Yep, but the problem I'm still not willing to see it get merged is
that current code will make IBus broken. The correct approach to
resolve XKB and Input method integration is letting input method
framework to handle XKB representing GNOME, IMHO.

> Please don't revert commits, that's is not the way to do things.
>
> FWIW, I found previous threads to be utterly confusing. I had to read
> the LWN summary to make sense out of them
> (https://lwn.net/Articles/503320/).

The LWN article is a great summary, but some of the wording indicates
the editor still lacks a bit of researching. For example, I'm one of
the most active input method maintainer in Debian and Ubuntu, and I do
care much about both IBus and Fcitx. In my personal opinion, I'll use
Fcitx for my daily work and advocate its bright future, but I do know
that IBus currently is more useful for some people, please don't think
I myself is simply a Fcitx fanboy.

--
Regards,
Aron Xu