Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 15:06 +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le 20/01/2012 13:00, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> > It is called systemd, and it is NOT a dependency. What we depend on is
> > a few simple dbus APIs. If an OS doesn't implement those APIs, certain
> > functionality won't work. These APIs have been implemented in systemd,
> > but they can (and are being) implemented elsewhere.
> >
> > What I've said above is nothing new btw (to me). It has been discussed
> > openly, think on this mailing list.
> >
> > What I am suggesting now is that we clearly document this (depend on the
> > API being implemented).
> Hi,
>
> Ok, so as a distributor of GNOME I think that what we (Ubuntu) would
> like to see:
> - some public list of what services GNOME rely on to be fully working
> - some public announce earlier in the cycle, or if possible one cycle in
> advance of what API will need to be provided for the next GNOME release
> to be fully working
> - some details (spec?) about the API used for those who want to
> implement compatible ones
>
> It's fine to be using new services but if GNOME wants distributors to
> provide a good GNOME experience system requirements should be announced
> in advances with a clear description of the protocol to give enough time
> to integrators to work on providing those services.

Most of them are listed in the page that Olav pointed to:
https://live.gnome.org/PortabilityMatrix

Not updating it for the latest changes is my mistake.

The actual talk of using systemd's timedated and localed services was in
May 2011:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00429.html
And the bugzilla itself (for which you receive notification mails)
opened since September.

I think that's enough time to implement the functionality.

Cheers