Re: En-dash versus em-dash (was: Re: Using the Unicode ellipsis =?UTF-8?Q?=28=E2=80=A6=29?= instead of three periods)

On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 13:15 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> But if we're going to write guidelines, here's my semi-professinal
> opinion:
>
> * Using hyphens instead of dashes for parenthetical text is awful.
> Using unspaced hyphens-like this-is downright confusing.
>
> * I'm old and I like unspaced em-dashes (a). A lot of people these
> days are switching to spaced en-dashes (b). I think that trend will
> continue.
>
> * Spaced em-dashes (c) are way too wide.
>
> * Unspaced en-dashes are for indicating ranges. We should use those
> too, though the hyphen isn't quite as ugly when misused in this case.

Compelling. I’ve updated the wiki page to standardise on spaced
en-dashes.

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/UnicodeUsage

The only characters left which need discussion are quotation marks.
After looking through a few UI guidelines, the consensus seems to be to
either:
 • use double quotation marks everywhere; or
 • use italics when referring to UI elements and double quotation marks
otherwise (Microsoft’s guidelines).

LibreOffice’s guidelines are the only ones which required using _single_
quotes, but that’s for technical reasons (they didn’t used to be able to
escape double quotes).

This seems fairly conclusive. From a quick look through Totem’s POT
file, quotation marks are mainly used for quoting file names at the
moment. UI labels are often quoted when referenced as well.

Personally I quite like the idea of reducing punctuation clutter by
using text styling (italics, monospace, or something else) for
identifying UI labels and filenames. Mallard renders <gui> elements in a
different colour to the rest of the text, for example, rather than
quoting them.

Philip