Re: Using the Unicode ellipsis =?UTF-8?Q?=28=E2=80=A6=29?= instead of three periods

On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 10:01 +0100, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 01:09 AM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> > I think it's time that we move away from using three periods (...) to
> > represent the ellipsis and instead use the Unicode character (…).
> >
> > This style has already been adopted by Microsoft [1] and Apple [2].
> >
> > [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj553415.aspx#2._Exploit_the_power_of_Unicode
> > [2] http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/applehiguidelines/TextStyle/TextStyle.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000365-TPXREF126
> >
> > On the other hand, I think it's less clear whether we should change
> > command line output as the single Unicode ellipsis takes up
> > significantly less space than three periods in a monospace font.
>
> It would be awesome to have a wiki page with the agreed and proposed
> uni-code character usage. Once there are enough agreed use-cases (e.g.
> the use of ellipsis in menus), it could be turned into a gnome goal.
> Ideally the agreed uni-code characters would make it into a gnome hig
> chapter about typography.

I’ve created https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/UnicodeUsage which I
think covers everything discussed in this thread so far. Please feel
free to add further suggestions to it, or move things from the
‘discussion’ to the ‘agreed’ list.

Philip