Re: En-dash versus em-dash

On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 10:10 -0500, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> On 12-12-10 09:57 AM, Philip Withnall wrote:
> > Disclaimer: I’m en_GB. I’m not entirely sure that en_GB speakers should
> > be deciding the style to use in the C locale, given that manuals of
> > style differ between the UK and the US.
>
> You must mean en_US. The C locale should not have unicode in it.

No, I mean the C locale. i.e. The strings in the source code. Using
UTF-8 in them is fine as long as they only get passed to UTF-8 safe
functions. All GNOME libraries explicitly expect input strings to be in
UTF-8.

See: http://tecnocode.co.uk/2009/10/01/unicode-in-gnome/ and
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-June/msg00112.html.

Philip