Re: Mirroring GNOME on github

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Adrian Perez de Castro
<aperez igalia com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Juanjo Marín <juanjomarin96 yahoo es> writes:
>
>>> De: Dodji Seketeli <dodji seketeli org>

>>> I'd rather keep the Freedom, and encourage people to work on improving
>>> the productivity in the realm of that freedom we fought so hard to get.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> I agree with Dodji that we should keep freedom values and not use
>> privative software in our workflow. Of course, I think individuals can use it if
>> they please, but I don't think is a good idea embrace github as a project.
>
> Even when I like Github and use it for personal projects (and personal
> clones of some repositories), I have the same opinion and think that
> GNOME should not support privative software.
>
> If what we want is a nicer/better merge request interface, there are
> alternatives like Gitlab [1], but that would conflict with the
> established workflow (Bugzilla + git-bz). But having to host it in
> the GNOME infrastructure would not automatically take advantage of
> the pre-existing forks in Github, which AFAIU would be one of the
> positive things of using Github... Probably the best compromise would
> be to have an automatic mirror in Github and process the merge
> requests out of Github.

I think the biggest benefit of using github is not the interface
itself, but rather the potential number of new contributors.
Since the D programming language moved to github, it has received
vastly more contributions from the community than ever before.
I definitely understand the proprietary concern though.
I like the idea of using github as a mirror rather than using it for
the primary repository.

Cheers,

Nicolas Silva