Re: Mirroring GNOME on github

Hi,

Juanjo Marín <juanjomarin96 yahoo es> writes:

>> De: Dodji Seketeli <dodji seketeli org>
>>
>> Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> a écrit:
>>
>>>  The question is whether the freedom is more important than
>>>  productivity of course.
>>
>> I'd rather keep the Freedom, and encourage people to work on improving
>> the productivity in the realm of that freedom we fought so hard to get.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I agree with Dodji that we should keep freedom values and not use
> privative software in our workflow. Of course, I think individuals can use it if
> they please, but I don't think is a good idea embrace github as a project.

Even when I like Github and use it for personal projects (and personal
clones of some repositories), I have the same opinion and think that
GNOME should not support privative software.

If what we want is a nicer/better merge request interface, there are
alternatives like Gitlab [1], but that would conflict with the
established workflow (Bugzilla + git-bz). But having to host it in
the GNOME infrastructure would not automatically take advantage of
the pre-existing forks in Github, which AFAIU would be one of the
positive things of using Github... Probably the best compromise would
be to have an automatic mirror in Github and process the merge
requests out of Github.

Br.

---
[1] http://gitlabhq.com/
--
Adrian Perez <aperez igalia com> - Sent from my toaster
Igalia - Free Software Engineering