Re: libxml2 commit 65c7d3b2e6506283eecd19a23dcf0122fbcdac33

Hey,

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com> wrote:
>   that's basically what I did in xmlBuf . But I broke the ABI more
> frankly by making the xmlBuf private, as I prefer to have the code
> fixed when people recompile. Those buffers were not supposed to be
> accessed that way, but people did, they didn't get the supposedly
> uneeded accessors, those are available now, it's better to clean things
> up for good an not rely on the old buffer for input and output on
> newly compiled apps (old buffers are still available for generic
> purposes though).
So to be clear, i was proposing leaving the structure public, but
embedding the structure in a private structure.
Since you're referring the the structure via a pointer, you can point
into the middle of the private structure.  Users
of the api could then access the public size field, but it wouldn't be
the *real* size field, just an int sized truncated copy of the size
field.
The real size field would be out of view a bytes before where the
pointer points (or after the structure block).

Anyway, sounds like it's water under the bridge now and people have
coped, so maybe not worth persuing.

--Ray