Re: 3.6 Feature: Lock Screen

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 21:04 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 18:38 -0400, Marina Zhurakhinskaya wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'd like to propose a new lock screen as a 3.6 feature. The new lock screen will
> >
> > - be styled to have a uniform look and feel as the rest of GNOME Shell
> > - be visually consistent with the look of the authentication
> > components on the login screen
> > - have a limited number of status icons displayed
> > - show an indication that there are notifications or show the
> > notifications themselves depending on the user’s preferences
> > - allow user authentication with a password, pin, fingerprint, or
> > smartcard
> >
> > The designs for the lock screen are available here:
> > https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/ScreenLock
>
> I *love* the idea of showing notifications and allowing control of
> media playback. It's something I've wanted for a very, very long
> time.

+1

> But I share Bhaavan's concern with having to physically drag the
> screen up. It's very cumbersome with a mouse. And aside from being
> inconvenient, without keyboard-only use it's not accessible.

Random thought - maybe the unlock should happen on enter as you can log
in on gdm?

Also - will the scroll from bottom be used in gdm/gnome-shell? If yes -
what about 'normal' desktops, if no - why introduce new 'widget'.

PS. Sorry if in second point I sound "threatening". I am just curious
and I am sure there is good answer to it I just don't know.

> How is the PIN supposed to be set? Will that involve changes to
> the User Accounts panel?

Why use PIN at all? (Apparently that is question for Windows 8 as well).
Or is it for smartcards?

> And while we're dealing with User Accounts and passwords, could we
> manage to do something about the password hint? You can set it, but
> it doesn't do anything useful in any software anywhere. It's kind
> of embarrassing to have to write that in the help.
>
> --
> Shaun

Best regards