Re: Module Proposal: Zeitgeist

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 22:36 +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Seif Lotfy wrote:
>
> > So I would still like to have my question answered. How is the policy
> > on using Zeitgeist for non-feature and non-UX related optimization and
> > maintenance distribution?
>
> Do note this was not discussed by the release team, we'll have a
> meeting soon and we can add that to the agenda if you want an official
> answer, but in my opinion there is no problem if a maintainer wants to
> use zeitgeist because it helps in whatever s/he is coding.

As a data point, I have a branch in Yelp where I'm using Zeitgeist.
I want to use it to reorder search results based on frequency. of
access. At the moment, the branch is reporting to Zeitgeist, and
it's adding links to "often viewed with" pages alongside the more
about and see also links. (That bit is sort of an experiment. Time
will tell how useful it is.)

It's not entirely clear to me what the process would be for me to
propose merging this to master, especially given that there's an
existing module proposal for Zeitgeist. Though I wasn't going to
worry about that anyway until I had the search result reordering
working. (I'd rather discuss code than ideas.)

I also have a long-term, "wishful thinking" goal of being able to
collect usage data for Yelp. I still have to figure out how I can
do this without violating privacy, but Zeitgeist already collects
exactly the information I would want reported.

--
Shaun