Re: Feature Proposal: Accessibility on by default

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 00:31 +0000, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> You can easily see that there is a very brittle link between step 2 and 3.
> Toggling the switch to always-on would just mean we always load the plugin.
> The big advantage in that approach is twofold:
> A) a11y users don't have to hunt for the "on" toggle anymore which is one
> crucial step less in bringing up an accessible desktop. With that, we can also
> remove a lot of switch-toggling and -querying everywhere in our a11y plumbing.
> B) We know that the next step of linking everything at compile-time will not
> cause any fallout once we decide to do it.

That part makes total sense to me (and thanks for the concise
explanation).

> > I suppose your proposed plan of "try it and see what happens" is
> > about the best we can currently do given the state of our current
> > technology, but I was wondering if you had any idea of what the
> > results might be.
> >
> As the plugin does not do anything when no AT is loaded,

OK; that seems to be a relatively recent change (from my admittedly
distant perspective).  If that's true, and recently the primary cost of
a11y has (at least in theory) been deferred to when an AT is loaded,
then I'm totally in favor of this change.