Re: Feature Proposal: finding and rediscovering shared links

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Seif Lotfy <seif lotfy com> wrote:
> > So a possible view for this feature can be done in Web: Links received can
> > then be automatically put in the queue of Web. And once visited can be taken
> > out of the queue.
> >
> > Another possible view would be a dialog for sent/received links for the
> > Contacts application.
> >
> > To sum it up: it would be appealing to have a readitlater queue without
> > explicit managing (well allowing that, and having those prioritized) as well
> > as having links sent through some direct mean (IM, mail) populate it.
>
> Something like this could be useful in Contacts, Chat or Mail (I'm not
> sure about Web). However, Contacts has a long way to go in terms of
> basic functionality and Chat and Mail don't exist yet. I don't think
> we're at the point where we can start to think about this feature.

Thanks for the input :D
My concept to why it belongs in Web is the simple observation that
there is a "queue" view planned (hopefully in development soon). I
assume that someone sending me a link should be considered as a valid
addition to the queue. IMHO splitting this feature to be implemented
in several Chats and Mail and Contacts seems out of place. I use Web
to browse websites, manage my bookmarks and queue. So it makes sense
to lookup websites I should visit from there. The queue can easily
indicate where this link came from (Mail/Chat/Social Network).

> I realise that you're frustrated by the lack of Zeitgeist adoption in
> GNOME, Seif. As I explained privately, the best way for you to pursue
> this is to talk to maintainers who might need it for search results.
> The decision to use Zeitgeist is really up to them.

I will not deny your claim. But I think this feature should also be
considered without Zeitgeist in mind. IMHO its a valid feature that
was suggested to me from a designer (so Zeitgeist was not on his
mind). So I think we should keep this thread Zeitgeist free and if
whoever wants to discuss frustration, there is a thread already up and
running :P

> Allan
> --
> IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org