Re: Use of maintainer mode in GNOME modules

On 14 September 2011 11:43, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
> why is that? I can imagine couple useful things being tight to the
> maintainer mode, also those aforementioned deprecated stuff being in use
> only for maintainers, not for regular users, like is done here [1].
> Other users in this thread gave also reasonable examples of a usage of
> the maintainer mode, not only for a makefile generation.

Because maintainer mode existing is really annoying when you are a
packager, and tying arbitrary unrelated changes to an option that is
documented as only changing the make rules is just wrong.

 --enable-maintainer-mode  enable make rules and dependencies not useful
                         (and sometimes confusing) to the casual installer

Options should do one clearly defined thing. What if a packager needs
maintainer mode off but wants the GTK+ integration?

Ross