Re: Launching an application requires too many mouse clicks in Gnome 3

On 4 September 2011 01:43, Xavier Cho <fender_rules yahoo co kr> wrote:
> Most of all, I think Gnome 3 requires too much user interaction when
> navigating in the program menu. In the days of global application menu, when
> you need to launch an application all you need to do was 1) click on the
> panel menu icon, 2) and navigate by hovering your mouse over the categories,
> 3) then click on the application. All it needed was 2 clicks and minimal
> mouse movement.
> However in Gnome 3, you need first 1) move your mouse to the upper left
> corner of the screen, 2) and click on the programs menu, 3) wait couple of
> seconds (especially when you click it for the first time), 4) move your
> mouse to the opposite end of the screen to click through the application
> categories, 5) and again move your mouse pointer to where the application
> is, 6) and finally click on the icon to launch it.
> In summary, now it requires 3 + number of categories clicks and much more
> mouse traversal to lauch an application, which I feel a setback in terms of
> user experience compared to Gnome 1&2.

Devil's advocate. It is possible to launch apps without any mouse
clicks. Press the Windows key (or whatever you like to call the thing)
to open Activities. Type a few letters, (optionally use the arrow
keys), and press Enter to launch the app.

Jeremy Bicha