Re: Support vala plugins in gnome-settings-daemon

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 14:14 +0100, Timo Kluck wrote:
> Dear gnome-developers,
>
> I've started a branch to allow writing plugins for
> gnome-settings-daemon in Vala.

We use the gnomecc list (copied) for gnome-settings-daemon and
gnome-control-center development, or you can find us on #control-center
on GIMPNet IRC.

> It's really convenient to be able to write plugins in Vala; it requires
> subclassing a GObject class which is very nontrivial in C but very easy in Vala.
> For now, I've only added an empty dummy plugin, but I'd like to use it later.
>
> This requires an extra dependency on valac, but only at distribution
> time; I believe
> that automake's support for vala actually includes the intermediate C
> files in the
> tarball, so the user doesn't need the vala compiler.
>
> The branch can be found at [1].

Is there any particular reason why you want to develop plugins in vala?
gnome-settings-daemon is not a general-purpose application, and I do not
know of any third-party plugins to it (meaning that all the plugins live
in gnome-settings-daemon and that, as maintainers, we would prefer
seeing plugins written in C).

> I'm no autotools or vala wizard, so I will really appreciate any your
> feedback you
> may have.

So, do you have a particular reason why you would want to write a new
plugin in Vala?

Cheers