Re: systemd as external dependency

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> On Wed, 18.05.11 16:34, Dave Neary (dneary gnome org) wrote:
>
>> Are you sure you're not taking the GNOME OS idea a bit far here? Are we
>> going to start depending on kernels carrying specific patch sets next?
>> Or specifying which package management system we expect GNOME
>> distributors to choose?
>
> I have not said anything about package management systems or which Linux
> distros people should use. Please don't put wordsin my mouth. What you
> are doing here is not helpful at all.
>
> I have said something about OS kernels, more spefifically APIs.
>
> I am not sure what you consider the "OS" part of "GNOME OS" means, but
> I'd claim that the core piece of an OS is the kernel.
>
> Lennart

And a core piece of an OS is its package management system. If "GNOME
OS" is an idea that warrants a hard dependency on Linux it's not far
fetched to ask what other parts between the kernel and GNOME (ie.
everything) are expected to be included as well.

Cheers,
Evandro