Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 10:16 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 20:51 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > I suspect GNOME might be interested in having a "backup story" so I'm
> > > offering this one.  And I'd be happy to have increased design advice
> > > and developer eyeballs.
> >
> > I'd really like Deja Dup to be even more integrated into the system,
> > meaning that we should make it possible to backup the whole system,
> > using fanotify(), and possibly integrating with btrfs snapshots.
> >
> I don't think we should aim for whole system backup really, but just
> user's data backup should be enough. Administrators know perfectly how
> to backup their systems

Administrators aren't a magic people. When you have a personal machine,
you're the administrator.

Time Machine has shown how to do backups in a sane way. I'd hope that we
can achieve the same level of integration, and ease of setup.

Right now, making backups requires too much work, and people don't do
it. I'd really like it to be much simpler and straight-forward.