Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

Hi,

Michael Terry wrote:
> My plans have always been aimed at personal data only, with any
> support for whole-system backup as a nice bonus.  There are technical
> issues there like "if you hit a file the user doesn't have read
> support for, are you going to prompt for the root password every
> time?"

FWIW, this is exactly the use-case I'm missing. I would like to copy my
personal data to an external hard drive, remote server or cloud storage
service, so that if my hard drive goes boom, I can get my settings,
documents, photos, etc back after installing a new distribution on a new
system. I'm not that bothered about a full system recovery for a GNOME
back-up tool.

So I applaud your focus :)

Cheers,
Dave.