Re: empathy integration with the desktop

This is just a technical limitation right now... Right now, the shell is an Observer... That means we can watch other channels and messages that other clients set up, like Empathy. This is a lot easier to implement. cassidy is working on making the shell an Approver and Handler, which means that we can set up channels ourselves.

Technically, we shouldn't be sending messages as an Observer...

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 13:02 -0700, Michael Knepher wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:53 AM, Guillaume Desmottes <gdesmott gnome org> wrote:
> > Le mardi 29 mars 2011 à 10:09 +0200, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
> >> Our integration of empathy is pretty nice these days, you set up
> >> accounts in the global settings, you can control presence via the user
> >> menu, get nice notifications, etc.
> >>
> >> However, to a normal user, just logging in for the first time none of
> >> these things actually work. You won't get notifications from people even
> >> if you switch to "Available", and the control center applet will always
> >> keep showing your accounts as offline, with no obvious way to go online.
> >
> > The presence chooser could turn the account online very easily (just a
> > couple of lines to change) but that can be a bit tricky. For example,
> > user sets his desktops status to away because it doesn't want to be
> > annoyed with notifications; should we connect his IMs account with
> > 'away' as status?
>
> As a new user of gnome-shell when I installed the Fedora 15 Alpha, my
> first thought was that "Available" and "Busy" referred to my IM
> status, and there was nothing that indicated to me that they had
> anything to do with the notification system. I only made that
> connection from a stray reference on either this list or the
> gnome-shell mailing list. My guess is that a lot of users will make
> the same connection and be confused when those settings don't seem to
> do anything to their IM status (even assuming they knew that they had
> to start empathy to begin with).

I made the same assumption, but I verified it. If empathy is running,
and I'm online then changing these affects the status that the empathy
window is showing.

So, it very much *does* affect IM status, but only if empathy is running
(which is my complaint overall).

Does this also affect other message tray stuff? If so, can someone
describe this more?