Re: Plans for Encoding Profiles Manager & Gnome Media Converter for Gnome 3

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 22:48 +0100, Gendre Sebastien wrote:
> Le mercredi 29 décembre 2010 à 22:32 +0100, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> > That is "gnome-audio-profiles-properties", as I found out.
>
> gnome-audio-profiles-properties is for Gnome 2. But for Gnome 3?
> Autonomous software or a System Settings panel?

It's the same filename for a GNOME 3 based one.

> > Does it exist? I see it listed under "Future" for Gnome Media on
> http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap ...
>
> Future, yes, but... a media converter with support of local files, DVD,
> BluRay, youtube, etc sources is long to be make.

For YouTube, and most websites, you don't actually need to do any
conversion (and it would probably cause loss if you did so, because of
double-encoding).

> > What's the URL of the codebase?
>
> No url for this time. For this time it's a private project. And it's on
> pause while the profile format stored on GSettings it's not defined.
>
> And I think, if this private project become a Free (like freedom) and
> community software, it's better if we work with community before write
> code. No?

There are already a few such programs, such as Transmaggedon and Arista.

FWIW, I think that a new UI for editing profiles would be useful, though
it certainly needs to move on from the current way of writing GStreamer
pipelines by hand.

It would be especially complicated for video, as you might want to
include subtitles, different audio or video tracks, etc.

UI research definitely needs to go into this work.

Cheers