Re: Planned GNOME Shell UI changes (was Re: String and UI Change Announcement)

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 18:52 +0100, Giovanni Campagna wrote:

> >  * A native network indicator applet will be added that works with
> >    NetworkManager 0.9 will be landing. (So don't screenshot the
> >    current nm-applet which doesn't even have symbolic icons for
> >    the panel)
>
> I'm not sure it will make it in 3.0. I have alpha quality code for that
> indicator (better than the one I posted half a year ago), but I cannot
> really test it since it depends on libnm-glib 0.9 with rm-userset, which
> is incompatible with NetworkManager 0.8.990.
> You could run the jhbuilt daemon but, ignoring security issues, is not
> really workable, given that it is not compatible with nm-applet and does
> not load configs from either GConf or rhcfg-plugin.
> Also, a lot of features are missing, like asking for a wireless key or
> creating adhoc connections.

The way I see it, someone who is using GNOME 3 with NetworkManager 0.8
will certainly have the option of using the old nm-applet icon. This
probably is going to be the configuration most people will need to use
if they've jhbuilt GNOME 3 on top of an existing distro and don't want
to go out of their way to replace the system NetworkManager daemon.

But NetworkManager 0.9 has the features we need to properly integrate
with our plans for GNOME 3, so that's what anything we implement in the
UI should be targeting.

I'll let Dan Williams follow up here to describe where that is currently
and how it relates to the items you mention above.

- Owen