Re: GNOME community survey

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 04:57 -0800, Germán Póo-Caamaño wrote:
> FYI,
>
> A group of researchers leaded by Jim Herbsleb got in contact with GNOME
> Foundation some months ago in order to research how communities works,
> how a volunteer become an active contributor, among others.
>
> In the following days, developers (committers) will receive and
> invitation to complete a survey that would not take more than 20 minutes
> (or even less). However, the participation in the study is completely
> voluntary.
>
> It worth to mention that the results will be shared with the community,
> and we will insist on that.
>
> At last but not least, the original plan included a joint survey to help
> set the Foundation goals, which will not be the case. However, we are
> looking forward to receive help from this team of researchers in the
> near future.

I have received complains about specific questions, which only affect
developers who have selected the option:

        "Most of my income comes from doing software development for a
        company."

For some miscommunication problem, I was not aware that option would
lead to extra questions related to the employer.  Hence, I could not
review them and I can not endorse them.

The most problematic questions are employer's name and the 4 questions
related to intentions of moving to another company/job.

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue might have produced.

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
http://www.gnome.org/~gpoo/