Re: IRC channels in gnome development

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 15:39 +0100, Gendre Sebastien wrote:
> Le samedi 05 février 2011 à 15:55 -0600, Jason D. Clinton a écrit :
> > You characterized the situation with the power manager as a "crisis"
> > and yet, while your description is more than a little hyperbolic, that
> > situation demonstrates that precisely what you are asking for is not
> > productive.
>
> Ahah. Have to chose about "What my computer do when the nid is close" is
> not productive? Is it a joke.
>
> I think the problem is "can choose what my computer do when the nid is
> close" is opposit to designers decision and some designer think they are
> supperior to user.
>

> > There were a total of four blog posts on the topic and
> > approximately 200 comments posted to those. There wasn't any negative
> > feedback on any of those four post's comments that was well researched
> > or particularly informed about all the issues that need to be
> > considered. Even people who tried to offer alternatives didn't seem
> > particularly informed about common use cases or what other operating
> > systems are doing (all research that had previously been done by the
> > design team). There was some legitimate concerns expressed,
> > particularly about why the research shows that AC and on-battery are
> > the same situation, but that was a tiny minority of the feedback and
> > not surprisingly, a large majority of this informed discussion
> > happened on IRC in #gnome-os and #fedora-desktop--not on a mailing
> > list or blog.
>
> Another joke? I have read some comments written with analysis: the
> logic. User have needs. When they are connect to IRC, when they
> download, when they transcode video, etc... In some case they need to
> close their nid (and turn off their screen) without turn their laptop to
> standby. This is not a case analysis?

There are already APIs for specific applications to do that sort of
thing. We don't need to add new buttons in the settings to avoid your
computer suspending when you close the lid (at least Brasero, and
Rhythmbox use those so that your computer doesn't go to sleep when
burning, or playing music).

> Not need lengthy studies to find it: just logic and observation.
>
> And if your sceen is not ruend off when you don't use it, this can cause
> problems: Broken backlight power supply is the main cause of breakdown
> on the LCD. And the reflex of user when it want turn off the screen, is
> to close the nid.
>

> And remember: People have no problem with the default behavior of the
> laptop when you close the lid, but with the absence to change this
> behavior.

There's already a way to override this.