Re: GTK_Icon becom symbolic: a really good idea?

Le vendredi 04 février 2011 à 18:50 -0500, Jasper St. Pierre a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Gendre Sebastien <korbe romandie com> wrote:

> >> So this is something you're OK with?
> >
> > Yes, I think using symbolic icons in this case are relevant (pertinent).

> >> It sounds like you're OK with this except for the mute grayscale color.
> >
> > No. Here I don't write about system status (on top right in Gnome Shell)
> > or volume indication but about the goal of icon inside a window.
>
> And what do you feel is bad about using symbolic icons to represent "a
> simple indicator"?

In this case, and only in this case, I think it make a sad user
experience. But it's jsu a personal opinion.

> >> Is this the case on that page you're citing?
> >>
> >> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/SymbolicIcons/UseGuidelines?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=evolution-lists-symbolic.png
> >>
> >> The markers in that list control are pieces of information: Is this a
> >> reply? Unread? Does this message have an attachment? Was it sent with
> >> the useless "Important" flag?
> >>
> >> Those icons, as I see it, are not there to capture the user's attention.
> >>
> >> The idea of symbolic icons is that they're basically an alpha channel,
> >> and the application or widget toolkit gets to decide the color.
> >>
> >> I'm assuming that a lot of the time it will be "gray", but the fact
> >> that it's a shape with no color information allows theme authors or
> >> application authors to make the shape look good at any color or on any
> >> background.
> >
> > Ok, in this list icons are just information. But in button? Ou in
> > textbox? (like here:
> > http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/SymbolicIcons/UseGuidelines?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=entry-widgets.png)
> >
> > Is it always informative or is it markers to attract the attention of
> > the user on the important GTK widgets?
> >
> > I think it's a good question.
> >

> What part of "Search" or "Select Date" or "Clear Entry Field" says "Important"?

So, image on this link is only to illustrate GTK icons and not
"important" GTK icons.

When a assistant window appears, some new user are lost if they are only
texte. And if icons are gray (or black) it's difficult for them to
locate in the window. If they see colored icon, and if they recognize
what they represent, user can quickly understand what it is and what he
should do.

This is just an analysis of newer user behavior.