Re: GTK_Icon becom symbolic: a really good idea?

Le vendredi 04 février 2011 à 17:55 -0500, Jasper St. Pierre a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Gendre Sebastien <korbe romandie com>
wrote:
> > Hello every body.
> >
> > I read the guideline of symbolic icons [1] and I'm not ok with all
> > points.
> >
> > Using symbolic icons for system status (on top right in Gnome Shell)
or
> > volume indication and play options in full screen [2] is relevant.
>
> So this is something you're OK with?

Yes, I think using symbolic icons in this case are relevant (pertinent).

> > But I have doubts about the relevance of symbolic icons for GTK
icons
> > (icons on windows, often inside a GTK Windget).
> >
> > What is a goal of icons in windows?
> > - Be a simple indicator of the kind of button or texte in the GTK
> > Widget?
>
> It sounds like you're OK with this except for the mute grayscale
color.

No. Here I don't write about system status (on top right in Gnome Shell)
or volume indication but about the goal of icon inside a window.

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/SymbolicIcons/UseGuidelines?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=evolution-lists-symbolic.png

> The markers in that list control are pieces of information: Is this a
> reply? Unread? Does this message have an attachment? Was it sent with
> the useless "Important" flag?
>
> Those icons, as I see it, are not there to capture the user's
attention.

> The idea of symbolic icons is that they're basically an alpha channel,
> and the application or widget toolkit gets to decide the color.
>
> I'm assuming that a lot of the time it will be "gray", but the fact
> that it's a shape with no color information allows theme authors or
> application authors to make the shape look good at any color or on any
> background.

Ok, in this list icons are just information. But in button? Ou in
textbox? (like here:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/SymbolicIcons/UseGuidelines?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=entry-widgets.png)

Is it always informative or is it markers to attract the attention of
the user on the important GTK widgets?

I think it's a good question