Re: Proposed Freeze Change

Picking this up again, finally. Sorry that it took so long.

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 13:21 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
> The main problem is developer awareness. Developers don't know
> exactly what constitutes a change that the documentation team
> cares about. And it's sometimes hard to keep of which freezes
> and announcement periods are in effect. Two-fold proposal:
>
> 1) Drop the UI change announcement period. It was a nice idea
> at the time, but it just doesn't help me much. It's not worth
> the developer mental overhead.
>
> 2) Merge the old feature freeze and the UI freeze into one big
> freeze and call it something that suggests you're not supposed
> to make changes. I've been calling it THE freeze. I'm not good
> at naming things. Beta freeze? Software freeze?

*** CURRENT SCHEDULE FOR 3.3.x: ***
As per https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree#Schedule
Jan 16: String Change Announcement Period
Jan 16: UI Change Announcement Period
Feb 06: API/ABI Freeze
Feb 06: Feature Freeze
Feb 20: UI Freeze
Mar 05: String Freeze
Mar 19: Hard Code Freeze

*** SCHEDULE PROPOSAL: ***
The release-team decided to propose the following:
      * drop UI Change Announcement Period,
      * merge String Change Announcement Period, API/ABI Freeze, Feature
        Freeze, and UI Freeze into "The Freeze".
      * keep String Freeze and Hard Code Freeze as is.

*** QUESTION 1: INCLUDE STRING FREEZE TOO? ***
However several posters in this thread have mentioned that they would
also like to see the String Freeze included in "The Freeze" as a frozen
UI also implies mostly frozen strings. However smaller fixes could still
be applied easily with the release team's proposal.

*** QUESTION 2: DATE FOR "THE FREEZE"? ***
As the proposal above does not mention a date for "The Freeze" I propose
either Feb 20 (current UI Freeze date) or Feb 13.

Personally I prefer Feb 13 as past release cycles experience with last
minute API breaks has shown that it's helpful to have the freeze on a
Monday that is NOT a Tarballs Due day, so there is one week left to sort
out all the stuff that broke. But maybe times have become less rough?

Comments?

andre
--
mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed