Re: Where is the data?

2011/8/20 Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl>:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 06:46:15PM +0200, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>> Still, if bug #123456 is more voted than bug #654321, it may be worth
>> dedicating some more design hours to the former than to the latter,
>> investigating the reasons, providing evidence, doing tests, etc.
>> Then, maybe the bug will still be closed NOTABUG/WONTFIX, but it will be
>> given a response proportional to the number of people reporting it.
>
> Because voting just gets a small number of people involved, results in
> distractions ("why isn't this fixed yet; has XXX votes")

Just ignore them if you don't care about them.

> , only technical
> users get involved and that it just is not seen by any significant
> amount of users I will not enable voting. It does more harm than good.

Whoa! Wait a second. How do you jump from "only technical users get
involved" to "it does more harm than good".

Technical users are still users, right? If you get 0 votes, that at
least gives you something, specially compared to another bug report
that has 1000 votes. At the end of the day you might decide to go for
the one that has 0 votes, because it's easier, but at least you know,
there's that bug report over there that more than a couple people
*definitely* care about.

> This is also on bugzilla.mozilla.org. Most voted bug at one point had
> 700 or so votes. That is about 1000 times off from what I find
> noteworthy.

Again, you can ignore the votes if you want, or you can assign your
own scale, but the point is, that a vote with 700 or so votes is
certainly more likely to be important that one with 0 votes.

Personally, I have had great success with bug reporting voting on my
projects, and seems to match pretty much the feedback I receive
through other methods.

But I'm not going to try to convince you, I'm sure there's no
objective measure that would change your mind.

--
Felipe Contreras