Re: Where is the data?

Il giorno sab, 20/08/2011 alle 16.50 +0100, Allan Day ha scritto:
> [...]
> >>
> >> You can always mark a bug with the ui-review keyword if you want a
> >> second opinion.
> >
> > You misunderstood me. I didn't say that I don't know when to close, I
> > said I don't know how to explain to the users why I'm closing. You need
> > facts to prove your points, or people won't understand and refuse to
> > agree.
>
> Oh right, sorry.
>
> There is evidence available to back up the current design but it's not
> all super hard and scientific. If you want a better justification for
> certain decisions, just ask the designers to add to the documentation
> on the wiki. Maybe we'll be able to do more user testing one day too.

Well, that's sounds good to me. I'll remember it next time someone
complains.
(Which in turn means that I'll ask for evidence myself, if I find
something I don't agree with)

> >> More user testing would be a good thing, and that might provide some
> >> of the numbers that you crave. In the mean time, we're not operating
> >> in the dark however: we can tell a lot from a combination of the UX
> >> literature, dog fooding, feed back from users and comparison with what
> >> other OSs/DEs/whatever are doing. It's not numerical data but it is
> >> data all the same.
> >
> > Usual example: the shutdown button. There is no UX literature proving
> > that "suspend is the right way to shutdown a system". Other systems
> > (Windows, Mac OS, KDE) are keeping power off as the primary method. Feed
> > back from users is far from enthusiastic. So... is there anything that
> > proves your points?
>
> The best examples of this kind of behaviour are mobile phones and tablets, imo.

GNOME is a desktop (as in "good old PC") environment, not a mobile one.
But that's a specific issue, and this is not the right place to discuss
it.

> > As an example, it is said that the user wants to focus one specific task
> > at time, and thus the taskbar was removed and all task switching moved
> > to the overview. I can concede that the premise is correct, but it is
> > hardly self evident that the overview helps with this, given that a task
> > often involves more than one window and more than one workspace (which
> > forces the user to alt-tab to avoid the "overview distraction").
>
> I *really* don't have the time to properly discuss these issues with
> you right now, I'm afraid... :) I think the main thing is that
> launching isn't always visible, and that that changes the experience
> for the better. (Yay for more baseless assertion! ;) )

Don't worry, I didn't want to discuss it here. (If I wanted, I would
have opened a thread in gnome-shell-list :D ). It was just to show that
sometimes the designer documents and wiki pages are not easily
understandable or agreeable with by the common bug reporter.

> >> I thought that the responses to the top ideas
> >> on Ubuntu brainstorm were a good example of how this can be done,
> >> actually [5]. Doing that kind of thing requires time and effort, of
> >> course...
> >
> > I see. Well, we could ask the feedback reporters to do the work. After
> > all, it is in their interest to have the developers focused on the
> > problems.
> > Or we could have voting in bugzilla. I know many people are against to
> > this, but it would immediately show the hottest issue, that surely
> > require reconsideration by the design team. Plus it would avoid +1
> > comments that spam our mailboxes.
>
> The main thing would be to visibly demonstrate serious consideration
> of the most popular suggestions. There are a few different ways that
> those suggestions could be made; it'd be interesting to evaluate the
> different possible approaches.

Uhm... How technically impractical would it be for GNOME to run a
blueprints system similar to Ubuntu's? It was shown to work positively
for them.

> Hope that helps; sorry if it doesn't.

Collaborating, and discussing constructively, always helps. Especially
if done on Saturday, so we can keep work days for writing code.
Thanks a lot for your answers!

Giovanni