Re: GNOME user survey 2011 (v4)

Hi Felipe.

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 23:50 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Joanmarie Diggs <joanied gnome org> wrote:

[...]
> >> === 01. Which of the following images best resemble your desktop? ===
> >> (image selection)
> >>
> >>  - GNOME 2
> >>  - GNOME 3
> >>  - Unity
> >>  - KDE
> >>

> > I assume these images will have sufficient accessible descriptions
> > associated with them for users who are blind.
>
> Well, I don't know such descriptions would be. We would need somebody
> that has actually used GNOME (and KDE) through this interface, and
> even then I'm not sure it's possible.

FWIW, I suspect most users who are blind and would be responding to such
a survey are very much aware of exactly what desktop environment they
are using and could identify it by name even without the benefit of a
multiple-choice question. So the alternative text I'd probably use is
something like:

- "GNOME 2"
- "GNOME 3"
- "Unity"
- "KDE"

Having said that, it seems that the stage you're in right now is still
one of figuring out exact language for all the questions, how best to
get meaningful data, and how to go about deploying it. Thus what is the
real point I'd like you to take away now about this issue is simply: If
you present an image, you'll need an alternative, text-based description
to make that image accessible for users who are blind. Please don't
forget the description. :-) When you reach the point where you need the
exact language for such descriptions, please come hang out with the
accessibility team and we'll help you sort it out.

> > In that same spirit:
> >
> >> Shall we start planning the deployment?
> >
> > I have no opinion on this other than to say should deployment planning
> > indeed begin, would you mind pinging the Accessibility team along the
> > way? I'm sure it will all be fine and accessible, but I would hate to
> > make that assumption only for us to find out, upon deployment, that
> > something was missed regarding the survey instrument, the
> > notifications, etc.
>
> How to do that? I assume cross-posting to multiple lists is
> discouraged. But yes, it would be great to get their feedback.

Well, on behalf of the Accessibility team, I invite you to join us in
#a11y on IRC any time you have questions. If you prefer a mailing list,
the gnome-accessibility-list reaches just about all of the team members.

Thanks again! Take care.
--joanie