Re: 3.2: gjs/seed

While a little biased, I'd rather there was a plan to keep Javascript in Gnome front and center...

I did think the plan of Introspection was to be able to say to Gnome users, "You want to customise application X", pick _your_ favourite language, it's _your_ choice..., rather than getting into a 'this language is better...' story that tends to put people off. More of an Inclusive community concept I guess..

Seed on Gtk3 should be usable, Most of the issues I had with maintaining applications written using it are around the changing Gtk API and introspection changes, which I presume python & gjs all suffer from now. (It would be nice if introspection had a mailing list rather than IRC to follow and/or follow up discussions...)

From a maintenance / development point of view Seed is 'maintained' (eg. bug reports and patches tend to be responded to or applied), however there is little active development (fixing hard problems etc.).. Could have been a good SoC project..

Python is always going to be stronger as it has a longer history in gnome (unfortunately as some people like me really do not enjoy using it), It will also take a long time for JS to gain as much ground, and any sense that the door is closing is not really going to help.

I watched my son last night experimenting with Javascript on a web-page with chrome and komodo for his first programming, it was all javascript, as it's accessible on any platform. While some of us grew up with assembler and BBC basic, as that was all that was available, todays generation are more likely to have toyed with javascript first. These are hopefully the type of people that will eventually drive Gnome in the future and I'd be keen to see the barrier of entry kept as low as possible for them..

Anyway my 2c on that.

Regards
Alan