Re: ThreePointOne: Contacts

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:37:49AM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On 19 April 2011 11:27, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 11:43 +0200, daniel g. siegel wrote:
> >> another very important point is synchronisation. together with salomon
> >> sickert we thought about how to solve this problem. basically we came up
> >> with the idea of a self-replicating backend, like couchdb. if we then
> >> could add support to the contact apps of other computer/devices like a
> >> n900 or android, we would get synchronisation and conflict management
> >> for free.
> >>
> >> then there is also the idea of having a webservice for the gnome
> >> contacts app, where you can access your contacts over the internet.
> >>
> >> we are very interested in your opinions about this!
> >
> > I don't know really. Synchronization is a tricky subject, with complex
> > protocols and risk for merge problems. Its almost always a source of
> > weird problems. I don't think we want to have synchronization as some
> > core part of the design.
> >
> > On the other hand, its important that there is some level of support for
> > synchronizing contacts with e.g. phones. So, I guess we need to think
> > about where it fits in.
>
> If you start to talk about synchronisation, please talk to Patrick
> Ohly <patrick ohly gmx de>.  He maintains SyncEvolution that is
> probably the only working PIM syncing tool that I know of, and it's
> totally non-trivial.

  Just recently there were some comment on sad state of sync:
http://www.happyassassin.net/2011/04/13/the-continuing-state-of-contact-calendar-synchronization-suck/
http://luther.ceplovi.cz/blog/2011/04/synchronization-sucks/

  Can we make synchronisation not suck?

--
Tomasz Torcz                 "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: zdzichubg chrome pl         "God is more forgiving."