Re: SoC idea: desktop file cache

Le Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:18:47 -0400,
Colin Walters <walters verbum org> a écrit :

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Martyn Russell <martyn lanedo com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like a god idea.
>
> I try to be modest, but it's hard to turn down deification...
>
> > At this point, I would like to just mention that Tracker already
> > mines applications and it is REALLY fast at this.
>
> My first reaction is fear here honestly - part of that is that SPARQL
> and RDF ontologies are just not something I live and breathe...

Understandable, and we'd need in any case a fallback mechanism for if
Tracker is not installed.

> But when you say "mines applications", you mean it parses the .desktop
> files and it's generating some index on the Name fields or something?

The application miner parses desktop files, and inserts them in the
Tracker database, which has an ontology (data model) for applications.
Information extracted includes name, description, category, icon path
and command line.

> Can you point me to some code?

Sure, see
http://git.gnome.org/browse/tracker/tree/src/miners/fs/tracker-miner-applications.c