Re: SoC idea: desktop file cache

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:

> But we still want the merge logic to build menus. So it sounds to me
> that what you want is to make gnome-menus use a mmaped file.

Well, what I think a simple first step is for gnome-menus to just
categorize the results of g_desktop_app_info_get_all() effectively.
That would at least get gnome-shell and gnome-panel out of the
business of reading all .desktop files *twice*.

> And we should also fix the other gnome-menus issues; I'm very much aware
> of them and would also love them to disappear).

So if the above step was done, then whatever interface we choose ends
up living inside gio/gdesktopappinfo.c, which we need to fix anyways
since we support apps launching other apps.