Re: Idea: Command search

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Mirek M. <mazelm gmail com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I realize that plans for Gnome 3.2 are being determined, and I just want to
> put an idea out there.
> What I'd really love to see in Gnome is command search for every
> application, much like Mac OS X has *.
> This search should reside in the Application menu, and should, if possible,
> also be based on menu items. Developers should, of course, also have the
> option of adding commands not available under menus and of adding "tags" to
> their commands, to make search more relevant.
> Do you think this would be possible? Would there be any major hurdles to
> overcome before this can be implemented (besides with applications that
> don't use the native GTK menu widget)?

I've been hoping for an API like this for some time, as it would
enable gnome-do/quicksilver/etc integration with applications
themselves.

Workflows like file->save as can be done very elegantly for a power
user by gnome-do style interaction, but it requires integration with
the apps themselves.

My suspicion is that Mac OS uses its accessibility APIs to work with
menus like that - is that an option for GNOME?