Re: Applets and GNOME 3

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 23:36 -0400, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 14:09 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > I thought we were going to distribute gnome panel and applets for some
> > > cycles before dropping them out.
> >
> > If that's the plan, then we need some kind of time limit, and we need
> > to build the old libraries with gtk3 [world of pain].
>
> I know some people did some work to do a DBus based, rather than Bonobo
> based, libpanel-applet. How does that figure into the equation?

Carlos Garcia Campos blogged about this: "The bonobo-less gnome-panel
branch was merged into master, so since version 2.31.2 gnome-panel
doesn't depend on bonobo anymore. The API is mostly the same, but there
are some minor changes since the old API exposed bonobo stuff. This of
course means that applets need to be ported to the new API. There's
already a GNOME Goal with a porting guide, and I already ported most of
the gnome-applets so there are a few examples too."

http://carlosgc.linups.org/gnome/libpanel-applet3.html

-- Juanjo Marin