Re: libnotify and GNOME 3

Boston summit is coming soon, sounds like a good topic to discuss this in person.  Someone should add that as one of the items to discuss.

sri

-- Sriram Ramkrishna (sriram.ramkrishna_@@_ gmail.com (remove _@@_)

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Stefan Kost <ensonic hora-obscura de> wrote:
Am 23.06.2010 12:12, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> libnotify is the only major library that I'm unclear on for GNOME 3.
> It's a conditional buildrequire in all my GNOME projects (as libnotify
> still uses gtk2.0) and I'm sure we should have a more compelling
> vision for notifications in GNOME 3.0. Does libnotify just require
> building against gtk3 or do we need a bigger rethink?
>
> I'm wondering if there has been any discussions on notifications or
> even any API? Specifically for the shell I guess, but it would be nice
> for it to work in a GNOME 2.x fallback environment too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard.

We're not using libnotify in maemo/meego anymore as well. We need a more
flexible systems that allows us to handle pushing notifications to various
senses. It like a matrix:
          foreground   background
hearing    play sound   play short beep
vision     show bubble  flash led
touch      vibrate      short vibra burst

The foreground/background stuff is controlled by the ressource policy
(http://meego.gitorious.org/maemo-multimedia: ohm, libressource, ...)

... just in case someone considers redesigning libnotify.

Stefan