Re: New module proposal: LightDM

>>> Using GNOME session / g-s-d /etc  is one of GDMs main features.  The
>>> point is for there to be consistent experience on the login screen and
>>> in the session.
>>
>> That, I fully agree with. This is a major feature of GDM, that makes
>> extending it easy and makes a11y support a breeze.
>>
>> It’s really a shame that LightDM doesn’t re-use this concept.
> Right, GDM used to work the way LightDM apparently works now, and it
> was changed because this way is better.

I haven't ruled out a greeter like this, the current greeter doesn't
for simplicity, and I'd like to see if I can get away without using
the session.

In the final product I'd expect more than one greeter to be available,
so perhaps the default for GNOME is a session based greeter which
behaves just like your GNOME session and an alternate greeter engine
that is highly themeable.  People who want fancy themes will probably
be fine without a11y.

There's a webkit greeter in lightdm currently which allows you to
really go crazy with themeing.